Wednesday, May 26, 2010

GOOD WILL HUNTING


In browsing through all these wonderfully inspiring blogs, I come across people who have the most gorgeous items from Goodwill.  I haven't been in a Goodwill store in ages, mainly because I never seem to have any luck bargain hunting there.  But I was motivated to do a quick run into the one on my way home from work.  I was for the most part disappointed, and amazed. Am I truly the only one who feels like their prices are more often than not, not bargains?  So many of the objects, many of them just shabby, as one would expect in a second hand shop, are priced at full price.  I know when one goes into these places, it's to hunt for bargains, and its a matter of a good eye, a number of visits, and just plain luck.

But I did find this bill organizer.  No, not that bill organizer at the top of my post, I didn't buy the one I was looking at. And it was a bargain, $3!  It was white, in a shabby chic glaze, it needed some cleaning, but it had a lovely glass drawer pull and beadboard siding, and was very substantial.  Why didn't I get it?  Because I always second guess everything with 'Where will I put this?'  I don't have my own ladies' desk, tho it's on my list of things to get, a tiny corner table for when I finally have my own computer in my bedroom, but I couldn't imagine both this bill organizer and a computer monitor on the table small enough to fit in the corner available. Plus, since the slots are intended for bills and to-dos, I didn't see a real reason for me to utilize it.

Then I drove away.  And thought about it. Thought about how these creative ladies on these blogs would have figured out what to do with those slots. I thought if I was into sewing, I could maybe file patterns in them. Thought if I was into card making or stamping I could keep different papers and finished products in the slots. The slots were too deep for pictures and postcards, but wait, couldn't I stuff the bottom of the slots to shorten that depth?  Or couldn't I even pleat a continuous piece of cloth into each slot, lining it halfway down, and store pictures, postcards, and the occasional notecard in there?

Tomorrow, I am going back and if, God willing, that organizer is still there, it is mine!

4 comments:

Leslie {Goodbye, house. Hello, home!} said...

Jane!
I would have so bought that organizer. I do believe that GW has a retun policy--so if you don't like something once you get it home- take it back! I don't think you'll get $ back, but a credit, but still.
Was the organizer there???
Nope.
I bought it, LOL!
Blessings to you Jane, as you make your home!

Designing Lady Jane said...

Yes, it's true, she who hesitates, loses that deal! I went back and someone had snatched that baby up. Next time I'll remember to grab it while I can.

Good hunting to you, too, Leslie. Thanks for the comment.

Thoughtfully Blended Hearts said...

Grabbing the b argain while you can...memorize this...gra b the bargain while I have it in my hands!!!...Thanks for visiting... I love that rose idea!!!!
Have hands in braces...forgive messy typing...

crazymotheringchick said...

I find that the trick to any resale shop is frequent visits, getting to know each shop, and knowing when is a good day to visit. Eventually, you learn when they bring out the good stuff, and when it's best to avoid it. It's a process.