Monday, January 28, 2013


After prepping our home to sell for several months, in between selling my mother-in-law's place and moving her to a nursing home, we finally listed it November 12, 2012. It sold that day. As in, it didn't even officially make it to the MLS listing, our agent was getting ready to list it and another agent who was shopping for a condo for her clients heard about it and came over while our agent was taking pictures for the listing. That evening we got a verbal offering for $10,000 over the our original asking price, and by the next day had signed papers on it. Of course, there were still those several weeks of inspections and paperwork for the buyer's loan company. It seemed so drawn out at the time, but now seems to have flown. So while others were pulling out their holiday decorations, we were finishing packing and making final preparations to move halfway across the country.

Oh yeah, my hubby and I took a week to fly into Nashville, TN, to find exactly where we would be moving to. After scouring the general Nashville area to find a home which fit our desires and budget, we expanded our search to include Murfreesboro, a college town about 30 miles south of Nashville proper, home to Middle Tennessee State University. There we found a modest two-story colonial and put in an offer. By the time we flew back to Orange County the next day, the paperwork was proceeding, and we had a home. 

Escrow hadn't quite closed on our California home yet, and it was just a couple weeks before Christmas.  Not wanting to be at an airport on Christmas Eve, and being told that escrow could close anywhere from the 18th to the 28th of December, we packed up the family and two upset cats and flew into Nashville on the 18th.  We spent 10 days at a hotel in the Nashville area. Not the most ideal situation, but we actually were very pleased with the Residence Inn of Brentwood where we wound up. They not only had the two bedroom suite our family of four needed, they allowed for the cats to be there.

To make a long story short, our California home closed on the 28th, after some gentle last-minute pushing from our realty office in Nashville, as we were unable to close on this house until the sale went thru in Cali. We moved in on December 29, one month ago. As luck would have it, our moving truck didn't catch up with us until January 17, quite a bit later than originally advertised. We went a couple days sleeping on the floor until we got new beds in, a few more days before we bought a new couch and loveseat and had them delivered, and a good week after that before we had a table and chair set purchased and actually in our breakfast area.

The only picture I have taken of the new home.  I do not know where the charger is for my camera.  I don't know where many things are at the moment, even though I'm surrounded by things begging to be put away correctly.

Today we got our Internet and television hooked up.  I am finally connected again to my friends.  I won't have much time for blogging yet, as there is so, so much to do at our new place.  But hopefully I will be able to come back and catch up.  We've already made a few changes, it would have been nice to have had before pictures.  That charger is around somewhere, I know. 

Hope everyone is having a great time. It's wonderful to be able to catch up with everyone here, you all are such inspirations.  Jane


The HOME GIRL said...

Your new home looks beautiful! I love the Nashville area! I've been there several times and it's such a neat place! Hope you enjoy your new home!! =D

Designing Lady Jane said...

Thank you Home Girl, I'm really looking forward to settling in here and Good luck on your new blog, and thanks for following me.

Zuni, Chickadee Home Nest said...

Best wishes in your new home! Thank you so much for taking the time to visit my blog, and for telling me my Valentine table inspired you--that is the BEST compliment! Happy Valentines in our new home! ~Zuni