Sunday, August 1, 2010

Bunny Love

You know how it doesn't occur to you that you actually collect certain objects?  Maybe you admit you own more than one or two of a paricular subject, for no reason other than that it appeals to you, but you don't feel that makes you a collector?

I was at a local VA thriftshop the other day, and housewares were on 1/2 prices. Not only that, but the 3rd piece of the puzzle fit, I found a couple items I felt would fit nicely in my home.  One I'll wait on, it will go to the Rooster Tag party I hope to be able to join up with. The other is this nice silver covered glass bowl, which I tend to think of as a potpourri bowl.  I'm sure you can put other items than potpourri in it, but does anyone ever do so?  I've wanted one of these for a while, but one of the things I like most about this one is the sweet trio of rabbits on its pewter lid.


I've always enjoyed the sleek, sweet form of bunny rabbits.  Being a careful shopper, I do make my decisions on what I acquire very carefully, same as anything I own.  Oh, I have my share of Easter gay pastel pieces, but those are in short supply, especially recently, when as my girls grow bigger our living areas grow smaller, and I have less and less of an inclination to put out cute little pieces for Easter, a holiday which usually catches me by surprise.

Looking around my house, however, it occurs to me that I actually have a number of rabbits in residence.  I have a couple more in the patio area, but here are a few to share with you.  This green rabbit I found at Marshalls a couple years ago, he was on clearance for around $3, and I just love the charm of the natural rabbit demeanor, like the artist had captured an exact moment in his day.

This next one shares the same window sill (which explains why I was not able to get pictures with more natural lighting).  It is more gay and whimsical, it may have even been an Easter decoration at some point picked up from Big Lots, back when they were still Pic n Save. But I've always adored it, and find it works all the year through.


Okay, this kinda says it all. It's a pretty well known print, taken from a Victorian child's story book 'Watership Down.'  I'm as drawn to its sweetness today as I was many years ago, when I first purchased it as a birthday present to myself. It reigned for many years over my bed, and might return there.  I've grown out of the dark red damask phase we had done our bedroom in when we redecorated for the first time in 15 years.  The bedroom redo was 3 years ago, but it's never appealed as much to me as the softer, more romantic look I had before. Returning to the more romantic feel is definitely on my list of things to do.  A main reason I've been scouring thrift shops.

Sorry for the odd angle, it's hanging in our staircase for now, and it's almost impossible to take a photo of it without a glare from somewhere.
 I've been walking past that picture there for a few years now, and considering moving it back to it's previous spot, it occurs to me exactly how much it would fit into the more shabby chic look I want to incorp. Not that the look will be white furniture, but a return to more antiques and preloved pieces. Finding how to make it all come togethe without spending much money is a riddle. The biggest challenge will be convincing my husband we need to replace the bedding with a lighter look. He likes color, so it will be a matter of us both finding the perfect new color and pattern. (Esp. since he doesn't know yet we're shopping for one.)

Wish me luck with this endeavor.  I'm getting lots of inspiration from all the blogs I'm following.

I know I'm behind with making this blog happen. I'm also trying to accumulate pictures to set up a gallery of my little place, so I can share my home with all you as well. It's rather intimidating, right now my home is more shabby than chic, more tawdy than traditional, but I will get it documented and listed soon.

Looking forward to sharing more with you later.

3 comments:

Barb said...

Hi Jane, your bunnies are so adorable. I absolutely love them!

Thank you for joining the Rooster Party. It is this coming Friday, August 6th and I am looking forward to seeing your roosters. I hope you have a wonderful time.

See you then or before :-)

Barb ♥

crazymotheringchick said...

Rooster Party? Sounds interesting....

I like the bunnies, particularly that pretty painting.

Designing Lady Jane said...

Thanks Barb, I'm looking forward to sharing some of our feathered friends with everyone. Julie, you must going as well, I know you have some roosters to shared. Just let Barb know.