Sunday, June 27, 2010

My Beachside Find

I had blogged last about my latest visit to Seal Beach, and how I loved exploring Brita's Old Town Gardens there. I also enjoyed hunting through a couple of antique shops there.  I ooh'ed and aw'ed over several items, but being the fastidious shopper I am, put down almost everything. One item I had been looking for was an apothecary jar. I had seen one recently on someone's blog and admired how they had used it to hold miniature soaps. I don't have miniature soaps, but I do have an accumulation of miniature lotions and bath oils, those small sizes you receive in gift baskets or from hotels. I thought they would look good displayed in an apothecary jar. I had checked at a few shops, but not found what I was looking for. Then, Eureka! In of all places, a shell shop!  This shell shop has been on Main Street in Seal Beach since I first discovered it over 25 years ago. I've always loved browsing it's crowded aisles cluttered with all sorts of sea treasures and beach decor. That's where I discovered it, a good size apothecary jar with a silver lid fashioned of a collage of sea shells, with a seastar centerpiece. I thought it was beautiful, but a bit pricier than what I hoped to spend. So I walked away.

I walked through an antique shop further down, and checked out a box of marked down objects outside, where I found a delightful little crystal dish. I'm not sure what I'll do with it, but it was too sweet to not snatch up at $2.  I went into a cottagey shop, where I was enchanted by its selection of white shabby chic everything. I dallyed some more at a tea room with its own gift shop full of lovelies. Then I walked back and bought that apothecary jar. When I go back and still want it, that's when I know it's mine and must come home with me.

Do you like it?  And the sweet little crystal dish as well, which beside the seashell jar does seem to be begging for some shell shaped guest soaps, doesn't it?

2 comments:

crazymotheringchick said...

I like it very much! Love that lid. It's so sparkly and pretty, I'd've had a tough time passing it up, too!

Christina's Creative Side said...

I do love it!! Looks great!